Tuesday 3 December 2013

How to make a Tee into a Dress

Sewing and embroidery is meditation for me, very therapeutic and the satisfaction is greater than eating a great meal! I know might sound quite odd coming from me but I really do enjoy it more than cooking, even though cooking comes more naturally to me. Kids wear has always been fun for me as I get to play with colours and patterns and the child will not complain, well at least my one year old doesn't. Elina loves every new dress that I make for her she walks around holding it on top of her head trying to wear it herself!

However, sometimes I struggle to get the factory made finish to my garments and I look for simpler ways to create gorgeous clothes and this is my latest Original Idea which I am sure mums would love. Make a dress from a basic tee!


It is really simple to make well simpler than make a dress from scratch! 

1. Choose a Plain or printed Tee which a bit loose for bubby
2. Take two strips of fabrics which are twice as long as the width of the tee and at least 5 inches wide to form the frills (decide frill width based on the dress length you require)
3. Double fold and stitch both the sides of these frills about 1/4 inch
4. stitch both the ends of the frill together and gather one side of the frill


5. Pin the frills in position on the t-shirt
6. Stitch the frills in place 
7. Add a button or a ric rac lace flower like I did on the top of the frills and its done!


Doesn't take long to create a unique dress like this one and above all you can play around with this as you like. Make one wider frill instead of two frills or use laces instead of frills or just add strips of fabrics and don't gather them into a frill. This would be a great christmas gift too, it's not too expensive either. Happy Sewing!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages for T&C: