Thursday 5 December 2013

DIY Vintage Inspired Christmas Trees

It's december already and Christmas is just round the corner. Time flies really fast and with Elina we don't even realise what time of the year it is as every day is so exciting and new. Having studied in convent schools in India, Christmas has been an integral part of my life growing up. Our mum was kind of forced every year to celebrate since we were so excited as kids. Me and my sister would decorate the potted christmas tree every year, I would mostly follow my sister's lead, we would bake, dress up and become santa for our brother. Happy days and such cherished memories. 

Playing along with the vintage theme that I have chosen for christmas this year I have made some paper christmas trees to go over the mantle place. I found some really cool vintage inspired wrapping papers at Typo which I used to make these trees, you can print out some images from web if you can't find these wrapping papers.



  • To start make some paper cones preferably card paper and trim the base so that it stand firmly.
  • Cut some fringes of the wrapping paper and start sticking them to the base first moving upwards.
  • It might be hard to stick the fringe in a straight line on a cylindrical surface so best to work with smaller strips of fringes.
  • Fill in any gaps that you find in the fringe with a piece of paper
  • Try using the fringe lengthwise to make a variation like the smaller tree in image above.




  • For this tree I punched out some circles from a wrapping paper 
  • Start sticking these circles on the tree with glue only on the top edge of the circles.
  • Cover the whole tree with these circles.




I made a fan shaped tree as well as shown in the first picture. This one was Martha Stewart inspired tree, I just glued the fan shaped paper on a paper cone, I glued the tip at multiple places so that it stays in shape and added some golden paper stars on top.
These are so simple to make and great for your table at work or any special corner in your home. They would make great gifts as well, gift it to neighbours or friends and make loads as they are so easy to make and so many versions are possible!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages for T&C: