Sunday 10 November 2013

Harry Potter themed Cake

It has been a very eventful month and I have had my hands full cooking and crafting, thanks to my wonderful friends! A very dear friend of mine is a true Harry Potter fan so much that he read all the books before seeing the films just so that the movies cannot influence him and he can experience what the writer intended first. We have spent many weekends watching Harry Potter movies with him and there have been times when we have had to say "Let's watch something else". Since he is such an ardent fan it was only fair that he gets his own Harry Potter cake for his birthday. I wasn't sure where to start and the Sorter Hat seemed like a good choice to start with. I love Harry Potter as well and especially when he was young and wore the sorter hat for the very first time praying he gets Gryffindor. Snitch was the next best part of the movies, the games were so interesting and I love the way they were filmed. Although I wasn't really prepared to make a gold fondant snitch as a topper, I did attempt one with golden sparkle on copper coloured. The possibilities for this theme are infinite and if I would have allowed myself more time I am sure I would have come up with a lot more. However, the ever so generous birthday boy was really pleased so I have no regrets! I made a dark chocolate cake with dark chocolate butter frosting for the chocolate lover.



Not sure if you think the same but I feel that Harry from my cake resembles Gru from Despicable me quite remarkably if we change the scarf. A funny thing happened when I woke up in the morning and saw my little one ate Potter's face which I had made the night before, chewed the front of it completely. She didn't miss the opportunity as soon as she got her hands on it in my absence, so this is the second face I made for the cake. I didn't have much time left for decorations so just hung some candles with fishing line from the ceiling and the birthday banner said"Happy B'day Muggle". The candles were not very stable hanging with a sticky tape but they did stay long enough to cut the cake! I did stick a sign for Platform 9 3/4 on the main door and it looked quite good too.

We had a lovely time and our gracious hostess made the most amazing party food. I am glad Harry Potter theme was a success and the cake looked great. Guess sometimes a little effort can make great happy memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages for T&C: