Monday 17 November 2014

Felt Christmas Tree Activity

E is really excited about Christmas this year, as she can see all the shops decorated and the excitement of Santa in the air! I am really happy with this new development as for the past two years we have been trying hard to make E feel festive during the holiday season and this year she is dictating her terms with a big list for Santa. I get to ask her to be nice or she will be off the list, well I should be able to benefit somehow. It's only mid November and a bit too early for the real tree so I have put up a felt activity for E on my kitchen wall. I must say that this activity only entertains her for a bit at one time but she does come back and put up another decoration after a while.



E loves candy canes and she even has a garden candy cane decoration which is bigger than her and she still loves to walk around with it. So I added some candy canes for her tree as well. Another fascination E has is with monsters, hence the blue monster teeth ornament on her tree. The presents just had to be there as that is what the holiday really means for her!




This tree allows E to keep experimenting with patterns and arrangements as she likes. There is never a set arrangement for the ornaments on the tree and I kind of like that. Quite a few mums have given the instructions to make this activity and I liked this blog  It really is as simple as it looks. Just cut out the shape of the tree from a felt fabric, I used half a metre fabric to get this size of tree. Then cut out simple ornament shapes from coloured felt and decorate by pasting contrast colour felt stripes or dots or a zig zag pattern. I used craft glue for the ornaments and a double sided tape to hang the tree on the wall. A star ornament on the top and presents at the base of the tree and it is all done. As felt sticks to another felt fabric without any glue, your child can take the ornaments out and the put them back on without any hassle. I kept a tray on the floor near this tree so that E can pack them away after she is done and then start over next time she visits her tree! Simple yet engaging.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages for T&C: