Wednesday 6 November 2013

Traditional Indian Paper Lanterns with a difference.

Every year on Diwali we would go out to the markets shopping for diwali decorations with mum and dad. Although we would make our own decorations, paper Lanterns or Kandeel was something we would buy every year. Kandeel is an integral part of diwali as every house has one hanging in their verandah or porch. Beautifully hand crafted paper lanterns which light up at night amongst the diyas, candles, fairy lights and rangolis. When I was in India it all seemed so simple, just go to the market and choose what you like in color shape size and just buy one kandeel. However, it is different when you are away from home. craft helps me re-live those memories from home. I just make what I want and it doesn't matter how it looks as long as it is there for diwali. Here is a picture I took from the net to show how a traditional kandeel looks.


Making these kandeels is hard work and they are not very expensive. There are much more expensive versions available in the market nowadays. especially the boutique ones made from handmade paper or handcrafted fabrics.There are many variations in the market now for kandeels and each one is just as beautiful. I still love the traditional handcrafted ones with multicoloured tissue paper on wooden frames. It is a whole industry that thrives on festivals such as diwali and by buying these handmade decorations we support this small industry. This year I tried to make a variation of these beautiful kandeels. 

Finding material was not so hard as it was to come up with the frame. I used wooden skewers and tissue paper to create beautiful shapes and frames for my Kandeels. Just chop off the pointy ends of the skewers and tie them together building the frame. It wasn't easy so i used sticky tape first to hold them together and then tied a string to make them stronger. Later I cut out tissue paper the same size as each wall and used craft glue to stick them in place. Then I cut out a motif with a contrasting tissue paper and glued on each wall. Added some fringes to each corner of the bottom side and hung the frame under a light bulb or use a battery operated fairy light inside to illuminate the kandeel, like I did for the polygonal one.

These lanterns are not so hard to make and look absolutely gorgeous. They don't just look nice for diwali but can also be used for just any occasion or party. Daytime look is just as great as at night with the light coming from inside the tissue paper walls.


 My diwali started by hanging these beauties outside my front door and in the verandah out the back. I hope This diwali brings good luck and happiness for everyone around the world!


2 comments:

Messages for T&C: