Saturday 11 October 2014

Pumpkin Soup Recipe; very child friendly!

I have worked really hard on getting E to like soup and accept it as a delicious meal but with little success, until now. My very own version of the classic soup is not only delicious but is also not so sweet which makes it child friendly especially for those who are not very fond of sweet meals like E. My little toddler is not really a fussy eater, she just doesn't find it interesting to waste time on eating when she can be doing so much more fun. It is the age of exploration and I don't mind it a bit it is part of the growing process but still wouldn't it be nice if she would finish her meal before getting distracted, hmmm! I love soups just the idea of all that good nutrition going down my throat is so very satisfying. I think if the pumpkin is roasted it would add to the flavour of this soup but I just wanted a recipe which is no fuss and tastes delicious.

 I like this soup with some crumbled feta cheese but E enjoyed it just plain and simple with some butter on top. Pepper gives it a bit of a punch for me.



Ingredients

one big or two small carrots
one medium onion
one medium washed potato
around 2-3 cups of kent pumpkin
1 inch piece of ginger
1 glass of water or vegetable stock if you prefer
1 tbsp full fat cream
1tbsp salted butter
salt  and pepper to taste
crumbled feta cheese to serve
coriander leaves optional


How to make the soup:

Roughly chop all the vegetables and add water to the pressure cooker. I prefer the pressure cooker as it is faster if you would like to boil them in a pot that should be alright as well, just keep an eye on the water level add more if required. I usually add some salt while cooking the vegetables. Pressure cook for 10 mins or 2-3 whistles.


Blend the vegetables once they are cooked, ginger might be the hard one to grind completely so look for the pieces before serving. Now boil the soup again add some more water if the consistency is not as you like it. 


Add the cream and butter to the soup at this stage.
Crumble the feta on top of your soup before serving and some chopped coriander leaves. Crack some pepper and serve hot with bread of your choice!


Hope you and your little one enjoy this version of pumpkin soup just as much as we did. I'm not sure if E would continue enjoying it but at least for now she allows me to serve her some!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages for T&C: